Everest 2025

Day 47 – Bianca Resting and Waiting at Camp 4 (8000m!)

22 May 2025 · Posted by Fiona (Mum)

As per yesterday’s update, Bianca made the decision not to push for the summit last night as the winds were strong and it was snowing hard at Camp 4. The radio was working between Camp 2 and Camp 4 and Paul was discussing the decision with her – although it’s very difficult to do as the forecasts we could see didn’t really match the conditions she was seeing up there. There is always wind up that high but it sounded like it was significantly worse than we’d expected. She was in good spirits though and sounded really strong.

Resting Today

Bianca slept the night at Camp 4 and will spend the day there today. It sounds restful but at that high altitude nothing is restful! Even something simple like getting a drink can make you out of breath, and changing clothes or taking a trip outside to go to the toilet is epic!

In fact, I don’t want to scare anyone but that altitude is known as the “Death Zone”. At this height, the oxygen levels are so low that people can’t survive for prolonged periods and their condition is gradually deteriorating. That, combined with the cold, means that the it’s not exactly restful up there! However, Bianca has enough oxygen to be on a low flow while she rests so she will be fine for another day.

Summit Push Tonight/Tomorrow

I haven’t had direct contact with her today but have heard through radio contact Pemba had the basecamp manager here that they are all fine, have plenty of supplies and are planning to go up early tonight. As there might be more people, I imagine this might be fairly early – like 6pm / 7pm Nepal time. But that might be adjusted as we find out more information.

Also for those that don’t know, Bianca is only 17 years old and if she is successful in summiting, she will become the Youngest Australian to Summit Mt Everest!

This would be following behind Gaby Kanizay and before her Alyssa Azar – both of whom were 19 when summiting. I know Bianca has gained a lot of inspiration from both of them!

And another thing, if she summits on the 23rd May, this will be the same date that both Paul and I summited – myself on 23rd May in 2006, and Paul on 23rd May in 2007!

Weather

The latest weather forecast has improved and tonight/tomorrow is looking good. I’m looking at the combination of 4 different weather forecasts and happily, they’re all mostly in agreement – which is a great sign. The winds are lighter and it shouldn’t be snowing.

One downside is that I’m not sure about how many other people will also be trying for the summit tonight. There is a large Indian group and also a Brazilian group, but other than that I’m not sure. The vast majority of climbers have already made their attempt a week or so ago, so hopefully there won’t be too

Camp 4 Photos

Posting some photos of Camp 4 from 2006 when Paul and I climbed. Despite the sunshine, hopefully you can see that the conditions are pretty harsh!

Looking up towards Everest

Let’s keep everything crossed for tonight and I’ll update the blog here as I hear news.